How Common Household Appliances Can Trigger an Electrical Fire

Fire hazards are plentiful in the modern world, where households are full of electrical appliances in every room that can present a serious hazard for your safety and the safety of your property through mishandling or irregular upkeep.

Remember, the user’s manual is there for a reason, and you should give it a thorough read and adhere to the rules if you want your appliances to run smoothly for years without needing a checkup. Nevertheless, there are certain household appliances and commonly used electrical aids that have a higher fire hazard potential than the rest. Here is how common household appliances can trigger an electrical fire and what you can do to prevent it.

Faulty appliances and outlets

One of the most common ways a fire can ignite in your home is through the use of old appliances that are showing signs of wear and tear due to the passing of time and constant use over the years. Appliances require regular upkeep and maintenance, so it’s a good idea to have a professional take a look at all of your appliances once a year in order to determine whether they are still safe to use.

Another common way fires start is through faulty outlets. If you notice one of your outlets failing to conduct electricity or is underperforming, it’s a sign that you should have it checked out immediately. A sudden surge of electricity might combust the cord and ignite the carpet or the wiring inside the wall, starting a fire.

Exceeding the prescribed wattage

You might be under the impression that using a higher wattage light bulb than it’s prescribed is a good idea, and while you will illuminate the room more, you are also increasing the hazard of provoking a fire due to socket and bulb overuse.

Various bulb sockets around the house can support various voltages, and you should never exceed that limit, as you will not only risk blowing the fuse box and losing power, but also setting the socket on fire if the pressure tube and the wiring inside the light bulb combust.

Faulty wiring around the house

Needless to say, if you notice any faulty wiring around the house or worse, if you notice any cord starting to make noises or produce smoke, you should call your emergency 24 hour electrician in Sydney immediately to inspect the cord and the rest of the wiring around the house. Remember never to take unnecessary chances and do not try to fix electrical appliances and aids yourself.

Faulty wiring can be present anywhere in your home, from extension cords, to the insides of your appliances, to the walls and underneath the carpets. Give them a thorough inspection at least once a year.

Overusing the extension cords

Your extension cord might boast five sockets, but that doesn’t mean that you should use all of them at the same time. And if you are, make sure that the consumption of electricity is not too great. This means instead of running your washer, dryer, and dishwasher all on one extension cord, you want to run one major appliance and use the rest as backups or auxiliary sockets for phone chargers, toasters, heaters, etc.

Remember to always unplug the appliances from the sockets to conserve energy and save money in the process while eliminating any fire hazards at the same time.

Dangerously positioning the space heater

Finally, portable space heaters are wonderful additions to any household that help it stay warm and toasty. However, you want to be careful as to where you position the heater. Be sure not to place your heater too close to combustible or flammable materials.

Keep it away from curtains, rugs, chairs, clothing, beds, etc. Also, remember that heaters deserve a break every once in a while, so be sure to turn them off for five minutes every hour to let the wiring inside cool down.

Fire hazards are becoming increasingly present in the modern world, due to the sheer number of electrical appliances found in every household. Fortunately, by following these precautions and keeping you emergency electrician on speed dial, you will have no problems maintaining a safe living environment for you and your loved ones.

14

No Responses

Write a response